Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Trayvon Martin Controversy

I do not know much about the Trayvon Martin shooting, but I have heard that there is much controversy surrounding the issue. I have heard that Trayvon was walking home wearing a hoodie carrying skittles and an iced tea when a neighborhood watchman shot him because he looked like he was up to no good. However, I have also heard that during this time Trayvon was on suspension from school for theft. While it is apparent that Trayvon has made some mistakes, and by no means was a saint, he certainly did not deserve to be gunned down in the streets of his very own neighborhood for wearing a hoodie and looking "suspicious". Trayvon's past suggests that he was a fellon; a kid that was not necessary on the best path. Being suspended from school is a big thing. If you are suspended from school for theft, it not looked highly upon by others, including myself. However, I do not think that this one instance shapes a person indefinitely. It could be completely possible that Trayvon was a a kind, caring individual who got lost and made bad mistakes along the way. On the other side of the fence, I do not know how I feel about the gunman. While it may be possible that Trayvon looked like he was up to "no good", I do not condone shooting people in the street. However, how can you call this man a racist? There is a lot of information that I, along with the rest of the public, lack, and I would like to learn more. Rest in peace Trayvon.

No comments:

Post a Comment